Our Church History







Blakely First United Methodist Church was formed in 1853. Rev. Ira Cook was the circuit rider who first served BFUMC. At the time, an existing building located on the southwest corner of Court Square was converted into a church for the use of the Methodists and Presbyterians. Elder Simon Peter Richardson opened the church with a 10 day meeting in which he attacked the selling of whiskey in the town. In April 1901, the first services were held in "Blakely's handsome and commodious new brick Methodist Church " for the first time. With some additions, this building still serves us and our Lord in 2017. 



Download our full history. (PDF File)